Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Finish Line? I Hope Not!


The GOOD news is: I participated in my first-ever 5K!!!

About two months ago, I began to exercise in earnest. I have about 10 lbs. of Post-11 pound Baby Stuff to get rid of around my middle, and if I'm getting up at 4:30am with the fussy-teeth er, I'd might as well head to the gym at 5:30am, right? And if I'm going to the gym at that god-awful hour, then why not shoot for a goal, like a 5K or something? Seemed attainable. I had the best motivating friend, who provided just the right amount of push to keep me moving (thanks, Heidi!) After a couple of good weeks, we decided to sign up for a local 5K. I have always wanted to take up Running, and I was so excited to do this 5K. Not ready to run the entire thing, yet, but excited AND dedicated just the same. So, when the big event started, I felt ready. I pushed myself as hard as I could as I did intervals of power-walking and running. I was surprised on how challenging it was, (er, uh....maybe how out of shape I am?) but it was great to actually be going for it, finally! As I pushed forward, I calculated all the things I will try to do the next time, for I fully intend to RUN the ENTIRE course next year. Well, by the time I hit the final leg of the course(about 1/4mi.) I thought my lower abs and hip/pelvis area and legs were going to actually ignite. It was painful. But, I didn't care, because it was great to FINISH and to not be LAST! (I won't tell you where I placed....just know I wasn't last!) Okay, so I know I have a lot to learn and a long way to go before I'm in the league of competitors, or any athlete for that matter, but it was a personal triumph for me.

So the BAD news is: I broke my ankle!!!

The day after the race, the post-run pain became all about my ankle. After a few weeks of enduring the pain and swelling, (I really thought it would get better sooner than this) I went to the doc today and X-rays made it official. Waaaah! He said no running! Not that I've been able to use it much since the 5K anyway, but an actual verdict?! Dang. Okay, Dr. Ormond is not here to cure what ails me, so does anyone have any realistic advice for this athlete wannabe?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my stars, woman! Ouch! But congratulations on finishing, broken ankle and all!!! And congratulations on those 5:30 mornings - now that's dedication!

Andrea said...

I can't believe you ran that with a broken ankle. You are amazing. I hope it heals soon. You are the woman. I need a goal myself. You are inspiring.

Sheffer's said...

James says you should sue the school for misdiagnosing it. :) I'm glad you finally got it figured out!!!!!! Now go sit down and put your feet up! :D

Brunson's said...

Way to go! And by the way you do look amazing!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness!! Good for you and Sad for you!!! I agree with Heather to sit down & put your feet up. Matt says it isn't too expensive to take a trip out here, get worked on & get your fam to Disneyland & the beach also. :) Hope all heals well!!!!!

HLFackrell said...

Ow, but what a great accomplishment! Congrats on setting a goal and completing it. Kudos to you!

Ashlee said...

sorry about your ankle..hope it's doing better now! You are an inspiration to me though. You'll have to let me know when you go again, maybe I'll tag along! Go Christal!!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

I'm soooooo proud of you Crystal and your running!!!!!!! What a great accomplishment! You girls amaze me at all your energy and friendships.

So sorry about your ankle.