Monday, September 17, 2012

New to Texas? New to us!

 
We've had a little fun spending our last few weeks noticing the differences between
 Texas and our home state.
When I went to get some information on vehicle registration, I got a laugh.
"To learn how, read our Apply to be Texan booklet. In no time at all, we will be proud to call you a Registered Texan!"
The booklet is SO Texan and kinda cheesy, but, hey! This IS Texas.
 
 
The Texas flag flies the same height as the American flag, and my school aged kids have had to learn to recite the Texas Pledge of Allegiance every morning after the National Pledge. 
One can find the Texan flag everywhere...At Dairy Queen one day, I noticed my hamburger wrapped in paper that was a Texas flag! 
Pickup trucks proudly display the fact that they are "Texas Truck"(s) and most are built with some special package that gives them EXTRA 
manufactured Texas bling-age.
Proud.
 


And lest we forget at some point that we are not in Kansas anymore, the Lone Star itself is proudly displayed on bridges, buildings and houses!
 
 
Now, here is something I like...in the dead middle of the ferocious summer heat, Crepe Myrtle trees are in full, beautiful bloom.  And when I say they are everywhere, I do not exaggerate.  These trees line the streets, highways, tollways in multiples and are in every shopping center and yard. 
 Beautiful.
 
 
And then, you've heard about football in this big state...
and it's all true. 
 This is our high school stadium, and the current largest HS marching band in the US (about 850.
One fun annual tradition in our town is when the marching band spends a weekend going through every neighborhood right before school starts. 
Impressive.
 
 
Two things about this picture:
1)  Dallas traffic.  Ick. 
Construction is everywhere. 
Rumble bumps are used instead of painted lines.
Motorcycle cops are sneaky.
(Kansas City should win an award for BEST road system!)
2)  The puffy white clouds.  Every day brings on a new display, and I love it. 
 



Then there are these little critters...they get in my HOUSE!
Although quite endearing and enamoring to my family, I am not so impressed!
 
 
We also have gotten the opportunity to experience FIRE ANTS. 
More on that later.
Maybe.

 We have SO enjoyed being in a house.  It's been such a long time. 
We've enjoyed making carpet angels and having a couple of empty rooms!
It's interesting that all the houses are brick around here.  And even though they look huge from the outside, they typically aren't that big.  There's no basement to double the square footage like we are used to.
 And the newer neighborhoods are truly small communities within themselves complete with an elementary school, parks, and pools. 
Ours also happens to boast our church! 
***Happy Sigh***
 
 
Remember how I have spent the past few years bemoaning the fact that the hardest job on the chore chart was taking garbage to the dumpster?!
Now, the kids vie to mow grass, to use the weed eater and the blower.
Added incentive is they get to run across the street and jump in the pool when they are done!
We'll see how it goes....I give it ONE season...

3 comments:

Tara said...

Miss Christal! It's so fun to get a peek @ your life in TX - sounds like a foreign country. :) I hope the kids are loving school, and you are loving it, too. :) I think of you often and miss you.

Andrea said...

Great post. We love Texas, and i have noticed all those things when we visit so I am laughing. On fire ants... we know them well...ouch. Miss you guys. I am so glad you are enjoying yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to finally get to see your blogs. What a joy to see some of you and the familys experiences. I love you so much and am so proud we are blood relatives. Pam