Friday, April 2, 2010

Perspective 101

I just got home from the library...and I thought I was having a hard time this afternoon.

You probably don't really need or want to hear it, but the demands of motherhood seemed to be pulling me in four directions this afternoon. The toddler was a nap-deprived wreck. The three older children had been home from school today, changing the typical routine. We had already been to the library a little earlier; I had stopped by and let my oldest go in and gather a stash of entertainment for the weekend. While he perused the library, I thought it would be a good opportunity for the crabby toddler to nod off as we waited in the quiet van. Oh no. After a long 20 minute wait...no such luck. Upon returning home, one of my daughters immediately began asking (nagging) me to make and deliver an important time-sensitive something-or-other for her friend. So you can imagine I was less-than-thrilled when the oldest son informed me that one of his DVD's of choice was not working and would need to be exchanged before the (early) Friday closing of the library. Then the other daughter began to let her negative opinion on the subject be known to all...Oh, yes. I snapped fiercely. And then felt rotten.

So, there I moped, saddened by my inadequacies and shortcomings...in the libray parking lot, waiting again (only this time, our little man decided he'd finally take some time out for a <5pm> snooze. Just great.) I began wondering just how late he'd be up tonight, and at what magical hour I would get to sleep. Poor me.

It was then I noticed a short, balding man coming out of the library. He wore a T-shirt that read, "I'm not dead yet."

He had NO ARMS.

As he marched in front of me at the cross walk, I heard the jingling of keys with every step. Odd, I thought, he had keys on a cord around his ankle. In awe, I watched him continue to march toward a sweet, slick and shiny midnight blue Camry. Would you believe it? He took the keys off his ankle, put them in the keyhole, unlocked his car door, got in, shut the door, and drove off...using ONLY his FEET.

I teared up...

Lesson learned.

2 comments:

whitney said...

wow. just wow. How's that for making one look at the bigger picture.

ps-sorry about the rough day. Even if you have arms, rough days are still sucky. (((hugs)))

Sheffer's said...

Will you please send Levi to me this week for a day? or two? :D You need a break super mom. I love you!!! Hugs and love from across the playground...